Friday, August 9, 2013

Put on your shades...

Hello everyone,

And happy Friday!  A new Playing in Paradise sketch challenge starts today at Scrapbooker's Paradise.  This month's sketch was designed by the talented Selena and the team has come up with some gorgeous creations to inspire you.  I hope you will pop over to take a peak and join in the fun!  This month's sketch is really a layout sketch, but I always like to represent the card makers so I turned it into a card anyway :)  Of course, you can make anything you can dream of as long as it uses the sketch.  

Did you get your shades on yet?  Consider yourselves warned :)


In a post a while back, our super talented and creative Pam demonstrated a technique using glitter that produced a really neat effect.  After reading it, the gears started turning and I wondered if it could be recreated using thin dies.  This was only my second attempt and I am very pleased with the result.  I started with a very thick (important) cardstock and Sookwang adhesive sheet trimmed to the same size.  Remove one side of the protective covering from the adhesive sheet and stick the adhesive to your super thick card stock.  Then place your thin dies cutting side down on the protective covering of your cardstock- adhesive sheet - protective covering sandwhich and tape them where you would like them to be with a low tack (eg. painters) tape.  If you don't stick them down, there is a good chance they will move on you as the protective film is quite slick.  Run it through your die cutting machine without (important) using a shim.  If your card stock was thick enough, it will only cut through the protective film and not all the way through the card stock.  You can then remove the protective film, one piece at a time and cover/burnish with glitter.  Repeat until all your colours and pieces are complete.  I would recommend starting with the darkest colour and work your way to the lightest.  Also, keep a vacuum handy as this can get pretty messy.  I also used the vacuum to clean my project in between colours - worked like a charm, but use a really soft brush.  I hope that all made sense :)  Clear as mud??

Supplies:

Paper - White shimmery card, off-white shimmery card, super thick white card
Sentiment - Winged Greetings by C.C. Designs stamped on shimmery white card with black Stazon
Other - silver twine, shimmery brads, mini scalloped edge scissors, scoring board (for folding rosettes)
Sketch - 


Thanks for stopping by :)  Come and play!!  I'm looking forward to seeing your creations.

Hugs, 

Dawn

9 comments:

cuilliesocks said...

Hi Dawn, your card is lovely, fabulous embossing and dies. Butterflies aew gorgeous, love it, Kate x

Sue said...

WOW!! This is stunning Dawn. Such an effective technique. I love the whole design with the gorgeous sparkle and a beautiful sentiment too.
hugs Sue xx

Jessi Fogan said...

Ooh, I never thought of using the vacuum! I use a makeup brush for the stray bits. This is spectacular - butterflies & glitter just go together like PB & J. Love those rosettes too - they are SO perfect!

Donna Ellis said...

Dawn, this is a wonderful card! Since I'm very "tolerant" of glitter, shades were not necessary LOL MUCHO Glittery - just love all the other glistening parts, too! Love your take on the sketch, changing it from a rather "informal" look to the elegant creation you managed to make. I'm always impressed when people utilize multiple techniques in a single masterpiece like this. Just lovely! hugs, de

fairyrocks said...

Beautiful card Dawn. Love the butterflies. Keep smiling and creating.

fairyrocks said...

PS, thanks for the glitter mention, you know I didn't think of that idea, just showed it in a little different way than I was shown. And now you know I will have to try this too. Thanks

Linda Pekrul said...

What a great idea - you've just opened up endless possibilities for my dies! This card is absolutely beautiful! I can only imagine the sparkle in real life, and I LOVE the background you've achieved with the Butterfly Magic die. (It's just gone on my "wish list" LOL.)

Unknown said...

Very very stylish and totally elegant card Dawn, fabulous dies and rosettes, classy! Love that quote, too. A real WOW creation! Hugs, Ira x
Ira’s Crea Corner

Marilyn said...

I couldn't believe my eyes when I scrolled down and saw this card. It jumped right out at me and I have to say, it is stunning! Love the little bit of colour of the butterflies, that is so effective and striking.